Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Murakami at Versailles




I have always been on the fence about the work of Murakami, mainly because I have an aversion to some of his more sexual pieces, but I have to admit I am very intrigued by the instillation of his work that is currently residing at Versailles in France. I think the dichotomy between Murakami's modern, kitschy, pop art and the heavy baroque architecture of Versailles is visually dualistic yet aesthetically coherent. The ornateness of both styles blend together almost harmoniously in a way that is unusual for such a harsh contrast. I would love to see this in person but unfortunately I have to resort to pictures. What do you think of Murakami and this exhibition? Is it disrespectful to the history of Versailles, revolutionary, tacky, genius?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Share/Bookmark